We’ve designed a school schedule to fit the rhythms of childhood, as well as the lives of working parents. The Schoolhouse is open from 8:00am-6:00pm, covering a typical working day for parents. And school starts at 9:00am, a more productive and engaged time for students. Our regular school hours are:
- Grades K-1: 9:00am-2:00pm
- Grades 2-8: 9:00am-3:00pm, with early dismissal at 2:00pm on Wednesdays for faculty meetings
Daily Outdoor Play at Mountain Lake Park
Every day, the entire school walks to Mountain Lake Park in the Presidio to play together. At the park, children:
- climb trees
- find frogs and other urban wildlife
- build forts and secret spaces with sticks, leaves, and moss
- learn and play group games
- play with a variety of equipment, including frisbees, soccer balls, stilts, etc.
- lead their own play in most cases, and always have a choice in how and where they play as long it is safe, fair, and inclusive of others
- learn conflict-resolution skills
Wednesday All-School Community Circle
Every Wednesday morning the children and teachers gathers for an all-school circle. Led by a different class each week, we greet each other, sing together, celebrate birthdays, and make announcements. Most importantly, this is a chance to check in, rub shoulders, and engage as members of a community.
Extended Day: Morning and After-School Care
Our morning program is available from 8:00-8:45am, Monday-Friday, for $12.25/hour.
Our after-school program is available from class dismissal to 6:00pm, Monday-Friday, for $12.25/hour.
Enrichment classes, taught by Schoolhouse teachers and community members, are also available during the extended day program. These classes cover topics such as movie-making, art, music, puppetry and Spanish. Enrichment classes are available for an additional fee.