San Francisco Schoolhouse, a non-profit K-8 school, is looking for a Flex Teacher who loves spending time with elementary-aged children to join our new and growing school community in the fall. This is a part-time position (25 hours per week, 11:15am-4:15pm, Monday-Friday) with the potential for additional hours as a substitute teacher when one of our teachers is out, or extra support is needed.
The Schoolhouse is a new, independent school located in the Richmond District of San Francisco. Our intentionally small size, experienced and passionate teachers, experiential curriculum, and active parent participation provide a unique opportunity for families seeking a community-minded progressive education that challenges and supports their child. Founded in 2011 by two teachers and two parents with two students, the Schoolhouse will enroll 70 students in the fall. Please explore our website to find out more about our beliefs and vision.
The Flex Teacher will have the opportunity to support all of our teachers and children during the day. This includes supervising children during recess (the entire school walks to Mountain Lake Park every day) and lunch, supporting teachers and children on a rotating basis during the afternoon, and working in our after-school program. We view teachers as lead learners alongside groups of children, and the Flex Teacher will live this ideal - listening to the children, asking questions about their learning, and helping problem-solve as needed. We are particularly eager to add a teacher with a science or environmental education background to our team.
This position’s regular hours are Monday to Friday, 11:15am-4:15pm. An ordinary day will look like this:
- 11:15am: arrival
- 11:30am-12:40pm: Supervise all-school recess at Mountain Lake Park in the Presidio.
- 12:40-1:00pm: Eat lunch with children in grades 2-6 on a rotating basis.
- 1:00-3:00pm: Support children’s projects and learning in partnership with lead teachers.
- 3:00-4:15pm: Supervise unstructured play in the after-school program.
- a lifelong learner who is open to change, and eager to take initiative and try new things; adaptable, creative, collaborative, and flexible
- eagerness to “get your hands dirty” and play with children. We’re looking for someone who loves to do things like dig in the mud, participate in unplanned splatter-painting, hula hoop, and engage in regular child-directed play
- interest in teaching science-related topics
- a sense of humor, creativity, patience and warmth; connects easily with children, teachers and parents
- prior experience working with elementary age children
- willingness to undergo a background and TB test
- bachelor’s degree
- background in science and/or environmental education
- experience with K-8 progressive and/or constructivist education
- resident of the Richmond district of San Francisco
Interested in teaching at the Schoolhouse? Email a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references to email@example.com.
San Francisco Schoolhouse is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualiﬁed individuals regardless of age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.